Commitment to Education
As one of the missions of the International Prostate Cancer Foundation being education, it is no surprise that one of the most outstanding qualities of our founder Dr. Vipul Patel, is his constant commitment to education worldwide. Educating patients on the importance of regular prostate cancer screenings along with the multiple treatment options is a strong focus. Learning as much as possible about the many different treatment options that are available, will enable patients to make better decisions. Treatment options are based on a number of factors and should be made hand in hand with a physician. Options include but are not limited to:
- Prostatectomy - A common treatment for early stage localized cancer in which the prostate gland is removed.
- Radiation Therapy - A treatment in which radioactive exposure is directed at cancer cells and the surrounding tissues.
- External Beam Radiation Therapy - As the most common type of radiation therapy, CT scans and MRIs are used to find the location of the tumor cells.
- Proton Therapy - Unlike the external beam radiation, this form of treatment uses protons for advanced precision on targeted tumors without affecting surrounding tissues.
- Brachytherapy - Tiny radioactive metal pellets are inserted into the prostate. The pellets give off radiation to the immediate surrounding area, killing prostate cancer cells.
- Hormone Therapy - This treatment is designed to prevent testosterone from being released or from acting on the prostate cells, as testosterone is the main fuel source for prostate cancer cell growth.
- Chemotherapy - An advanced prostate cancer treatment option, that involves the use of specific chemicals to stop the cancer cells from dividing, limiting growth and spread of the tumor.
- Emerging Therapies - Everyday new drugs, new regimens and new treatment options are being investigated by researchers all over the world.
Recently Dr. Vipul Patel was interviewed about the benefits of robotic prostatectomy. As one of the leading treatments, the benefits of this procedure by far outweigh the costs.
Allowing the physician great control and comfort, robotic surgeries provide less stress overall, for both the medical staff and the patient. Dr. Patel, his team and surgeons everywhere, have experienced greater control of the overall treatment outcomes with this rapidly growing option in cancer treatments.
For the full interview click HERE.